About five days a week (or so) I begin my day with gluten free oatmeal and blueberries. It is my first choice when it comes to a delicious, filling and healthy (Silver Lining trifecta!) breakfast.
There are lots of health benefits of oatmeal! It:
- Is low in calories and high in fiber.
- Stabilizes blood sugar.
- Lowers bad cholesterol.
- Counteracts heart disease
- Helps memory
- Helps in the digestion department (yes, that means it keeps you regular which is no small feat for me. I’m just sayin’…).
The reasons to eat blueberries are pretty fantastico! They:
- Aid in reducing risk factors for cardiovascular disease.
- Are the highest antioxidant capacity of all fresh fruit.
- Neutralize free radicals which can affect disease and aging in the body.
- Slow down vision lost (e.g., macular degeneration, cataract, and myopia, etc.)
- Enhance brain health
- Aid digestion and decrease constipation
- Have anti-cancer properties
Did you know that the deeper the color of blueberries, the more they are rich in anti-oxidants and other medicinal values?
A couple of my tricks to keep the morning breakfast interesting:
- To prepare the blueberries, in a small saucepan, I heat 1/4 cup of fresh or frozen ORGANIC blueberries and a tablespoon of stevia until a reduction forms. Then I combine the warm oatmeal and voila…extra yummy. Though, I have to say that it’s not so beautiful in appearance. I made it for a girlfriend last week and the look on her face forbade me from photographing it for the blog! This recipe is all go, no show. Just sayin’…
- I cook my oatmeal with almond milk. I looooove almond milk! It, too, is packed with Silver Linings. It: stabilizes blood sugar, helps manage weight, improves bone and eye health, among other things. Plus it’s extra yummy.
Whether or not you eat oatmeal or something else for breakfast, know that your Mom was right: there is no better way to start the day than with a great breakfast!