This week has me all consumed with a big project, which has meant that the Whole Foods prepared food bar has been my refrigerator. But, as Theodore Roosevelt recommended, I’m doing the best that I can with what I have where I am. At least that’s how I rationalize it… Anyhoo, when I work a ton, my go to snack is blueberries.
Blueberries are a Silver Lined superfood packed with antioxidants (more than most other fruits and vegetables!) and have no fat or cholesterol. In fact, one cup of blueberries adds up to only 80 calories! Fresh or frozen, these delightful berries ranging from deep purple to blue-black offer a slew of nutritional benefits including:
- Antioxidants Blueberries contain phytonutrients and phytoflavinoids filled with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties including Anthocyanin (responsible for their blue color,) Vitamins A, B complex, C, E, copper, iron, potassium, selenium, and zinc. Great for brain health, collagen building, boosting the immune system and reducing inflammation!
- High Fiber Content Helps keep cholesterol in check, promote a healthy functioning digestive tract, and healthy heart
- Low Glycemic Index Blueberries contain manganese, which converts carbohydrates, fats, and proteins into energy keeping the body feeling fulfilled and free from cravings. Great for maintaining weight and sustaining energy.
- High in Anthocyanosides Known to prevent or delay all age related ocular diseases and concerns. Great for the eyes!
- Ellagic Acid and Pterosilbene Said to reduce the risk of cancer and possibly slow the growth of some cancerous tumors!
- Anti-depressants Blueberries keep the body fit, the mind sharp, and the mood good. A great healthy, natural solution to replace feeling sluggish with feeling energized and optimistic!
So, when you’re feeling the need for a little pick me up, grab a bag of blueberries and be well!