Unfortunately, I am still craving white, stick-to-the-ceiling bread. Though delicious (and fun to peel off the roof of my mouth), it’s so bad for me generally, but especially with FBC.
An alternative, given to me by nutritionist Dale Figtree, is Almond Bread. OMG. I can’t begin to tell you how delicious AND healthy this is. This bread is ALL good. No sugar. No wheat. Nothing bad.
- 1 lb. almonds, raw
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup water, carbonated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Blend almonds (a small amount at a time) in food processor or blender to fine texture.
- Place in bowl and add remaining ingredients.
- Pour into olive-oiled bread pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Will stay fresh for over a week in an airtight container in refrigerator.
I eat Almond Bread in a couple of delish ways:
- For a savory option, add a little avocado on top with ground pepper and kosher sea salt. YUM.
- For a sweet option, toast it and add a little pecan butter and honey. YUM.
Not only are they delicious, but there are enormous health benefits to eating almonds (Silver Lining):
- Boosts energy (by the presence of manganese, copper and riboflavin).
- Good for the Skin (by improving the complexion).
- Weight loss (thanks to the mono-saturated fat that satisfies the appetite and prevents over-eating).
- Prevention of constipation (because they are rich in fiber).
- Prevention of cancer (well, perhaps for YOU all!).
- Protection against diabetes (because they help reduce the rise in sugar and insulin levels after meals).
- Good for pregnancy (because of the folic acid).
- Good for the heart (from mono-saturated fat, vitamin E, protein, magnesium and potassium)
- Regulates cholesterol (by increasing the HDL’s-good cholesterol-and reducing the LDL’s-bad cholesterol).
- Regulates blood pressure (because they contain potassium and are low in sodium).
- Photo credit: wisemen.com