Friday’s Fixin’s: Buffalo Cauliflower
This week’s recipe could be my new FAVORITE recipe. Oh dear heavens. Since trying it, I’ve made it no less than 5 times. I’m telling you it is A-MA-ZING!
Truth be told, however, when Chef Maili suggested it, I wasn’t so keen on the idea. It just sounded a little – odd. Now, I will say that I have changed my tune about cauliflower since making Gwyneth Paltrow’s Roasted Cauliflower & Chickpeas dish earlier this summer….but still.
The Silver Lining is that when Maili makes something – even if it sounds odd – it’s always delish! And she’s such a dear to modify dishes to make them vegan and gluten free for moi. An added Silver Lining is that cauliflower packs an anti-cancer power punch, along with other amazing nutritious benefits.
- Antioxidant. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that promotes skin and brain health and reduces the risk of developing that pesky cancer.
- Great source of folic acid (B9), potassium, and other important B vitamins like niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, and thiamine.
- Heart Health . Cauliflower protects from heart disease in many ways. It contains allicin, which has been found to reduce the occurrence of stroke and heart disease. Additionally, cauliflower can help to lower cholesterol levels in the body.
- Excellent source of fiber which helps digestion. DUH.
- Super for detoxification. Cauliflower contains the second highest amount of glucosinolates, after broccoli. Chewing breaks down glucosinolates into their active form, which triggers the detoxification process. Research suggests that they may play a role in reducing the risk of developing various types of cancers.
by Chef Maili Brocke
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 – 4 tablespoons of hot sauce, (add more if you like it hotter. Maili likes Frank’s brand)
- Cut cauliflower according to photo. The goal is to have flat sides so that they sear (brown) properly
- Add grapeseed oil to pan
- Sauté cauliflower in pan on medium high heat for 5 minutes, stirring very little so that it browns nicely.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove lid, add hot sauce and mix and cook for 5 more minutes.