A Silver Lining of FBC is that I have learned an extraordinary amount about nutrition, most of which I try to share with you here. Two of the things that I have incorporated into my diet are smoothies and green drinks. Prior to FBC, I’d have the occasional smoothie and thought that green drinks were the equivalent of drinking motor oil. Ewwwwww. Well, as I learned from chef Adina Niemerow, it is all about how you make the drink.
In her book, Super Cleanse, Adina shares all kinds of fantastic recipes as well as ideas for cleanses, lasting anywhere from one day to a week. I’m crazy about her book and her recipes are divine. No more motor oil here!
Below are two of my favorite recipes from Super Cleanse. Enjoy!
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 teaspoon tocotrienols*
- 1 teaspoon Flax oil
- 1 teaspoon lecithin granules**
- 1 teaspoon green powder. I like the Greener Grasses brand. It is a powdered formula of several different grass extracts. It includes whole leaf wheat grass and barley grass and pure juices from alfalfa leaf, dandelion leaf, barley grass and oat grass. Health Force claims it provides “healthy alkaline elements and a large amount of 100% whole food nutrients” such as vitamins, minerals, trace minerals, chlorophyll, fiber and phytonutrients. Greener Grasses is pesticide-free and dried below 100 degrees F. to preserve enzymes and other heat-sensitive elements. A whole bunch of Silver Linings here!
- 1 pinch of Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. MSM (or 1 capsule, opened up)***
- 1 cup of your favorite berry (fresh is preferable, but organic frozen can work), recommend acai berries
- Pinch of Stevia or 2 tsp. of raw honey
- 1/2 tsp. bee pollen
- Note: If you are allergic to bee stings, omit the raw honey and bee pollen.
- Directions: Add all the ingredients to you blender and mix until smooth!!!
* Tocotrienols are members of the vitamin E family which, as you probably know, means that it functions as an antioxidant (Silver Lining).
** Lecithin granules help the body utilize certain vitamins such as Vitamin A, B, E, and K. Lecithin granules also help to break down fat and cholesterol into smaller pieces (Silver Lining).
*** MSM (a/k/a Methylsulfonylmethane) is a is naturally-occurring, organic sulfur that helps to reduce inflammation, provide relief from pain and allergies, and promotes healthy cells, skin, hair, and nails (Silver Lining).
- 1 large cucumber, peeled
- 5 stalks celery
- 1 apple, cored
- 3 kale leaves
- 4 dandelion green leaves
- 4 sprigs parsley
- Optional garnish: a slice of fresh lemon of a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Chop the first 6 ingredients into pieces small enough to fit through the feed tube of your juicer.
- Put the cucumber, celery, apple and kale into a small bowl, dandelion and parsley into anther bowl.
- Run all of the ingredients through the feed tube of the juicer, alternating back and forth between the greens and chopped vegetables and apple. If you start and with the apple-vegetable mixture, you’ll be sure to suck every juicy drop out of the greens.
- Serve in a large glass with the garnish.