Friday Fixin’s: Cauliflower Mash
Slowly but surely, I am making my way back into my kitchen. Sorry ’bout the dearth over the past couple of months! Been just a wee bit busy. But I’m BACK! The Silver Lining is that I have actually been using Friday Fixin’s as my cookbook. Ha!
Being a Southern gal, I love comfort foods! But I also love to be healthy, which is why I have a soft spot for this delicious dish of Cauliflower Mash (they are so much like mashed potatoes!) from my friend Daphne Oz, who just came out with her second book, Relish. Although the book isn’t a vegan one, Daphne is talented at adding some healthy plant-based recipes into her repertoire so someone “leaning in” can get a taste for how scrumptious healthy food can be.
DO: Presto Pesto! This is a great alternative to mashed potatoes. Easy to whip up, even easier to devour. If you’re planning on kissing anyone tonight, make sure they have at least a bite, as it’s very garlicky!
- 1 head of cauliflower, trimmed and cut into medium florets
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- Sea salt and fresh-cracked black pepper
- Bring 2 inches of water to a boil under a steam basket and steam the cauliflower until it is tender, 5 to 8 minutes, depending on the size of the florets. If you want to steam the cauliflower whole, it will take a bit longer, usually 25 to 35 minutes.
- Coarsely chop the basil leaves and garlic.
- Add the cauliflower to a blender or food processor and pulse once or twice.
- Add the basil, garlic, oil, and pine nuts and puree or process until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.