The anesthesia and pain meds this week have made me a nauseous, constipated wreck. TMI? Sorry. Suffice it to say that the thought of food is pretty repulsive right now.
But, I know that I need calories and fuel, so I’ve turned to my #1 gold standard: Kombucha!
I loooooove Kombucha! The Synergy brand is one of my faves.
Kombucha is an effervescent tea-based beverage that is often consumed for its health benefits and medicinal purposes. In a nutshell, it is an all-around health elixir. Its taste resembles the flavors of apple cider and wine, depending on the type of tea (its base is either white, black or green tea) and the fermentation process.
There are tons of Silver Linings to Kombucha:
- One of the major health benefits of Kombucha tea is its detoxification properties. The tea is rich in bacterial acids and enzymes that the body produces and uses to cleanse and detoxify itself, thus helping reduce the stress on the pancreas and easing the load on the liver.
- Kombucha is rich in glucaric acid which has been reported to help prevent certain types of cancers.
- Kombucha is fortified with glucosamines, substances needed by the joints to stay strong and healthy. Glucosamines help promote the production of hyaluronic acid which helps reduce arthritis-related pain and preserves the form and structure of cartilages. Hyaluronic acid also allows for the body’s connective tissues to bind more moisture, thereby maintaining healthy tissues, flexibility, and lubrication in the joints.
- Kombucha tea is rich in antioxidants. These antioxidants help strengthen the immune system by suppressing the harmful activities of free radicals, thereby decreasing susceptibility to illness and infection.
- Kombucha also speeds up the body’s metabolism. Major Silver Lining, right?!? Since the tea helps improve metabolism and the digestive process, it can also serve as a remedy for acid reflux.
- Kombucha contains acids that effectively calm the mind and body.
- There are also some, Ahem, cosmetic effects to drinking Kombucha. Many people have discovered that drinking the tea has helped them achieve tighter, firmer skin, and an overall better complexion and skin tone.
My favorite flavor of the Syngergy Brand of Kombucha is Cherry with Chia Seeds.
The chia seeds add a MAJOR zippity do dah to the already fabulous health benefits of Kombucha. Speaking of Chia, did you know that Chia seeds also have lots of Silver Linings? They:
- Balance blood sugar
- Help prevent diverticulitis/diverticulosis
- Add healthy omega-3 oil to the diet
- Provide energy (MAJOR energy!)