One of my intentions for 2012 is to cook more. I’m happy to say that I am fulfilling that commitment (Silver Lining). As a consequence, we are staying home more, saving $$, cooking with Finally Five…and I’m having FUN!
One of my new favorite recipes is Maili’s Lentil Salad. I’m not usually a lentil fan (they used to make me cringe!), but good grief, THIS recipe is amazing.
The Silver Lining about it is that it can be used by itself, as a side or on to make an entire meal. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Maili’s Lentil Salad
- 2 1/2 cups lentils or 1 package of Trader Joe’s precooked lentils (love these!).
- 1 bunch of parsley, leaves only
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive extra virgin olive oil (as you all know, I love Lucini)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Maldon salt (If you use kosher salt, use 1/2 as much)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (which equates to 1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 yellow onion (which equates to 1 cup)
- In pan, saute onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil. If onions start to cook too fast, add 1/4 cup of water. (Silver Lining: water prevents onion burning)
- In bowl, mix: parsley, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, red pepper flakes and garlic.
- Add the lentils. If you’re using the Trader Joe’s brand, be sure to break them up with your hands.
- Add the sautéed onions and mix well.
Here are some of the Silver-Lined health benefits of lentils:
- Lentils have load of iron for energy.
- Lentils tive you energy to burn while stabilizing blood sugar.
- Lentils are good for cardiac health thanks to their significant amounts of folate and magnesium.
- Lentils are a fiber rock star.
- Lentils are a good source of other vitamins and minerals: phosphorus, potassium, and Vitamins B (thiamine), B6, C and E
So, coming from a non-lentil girl, please enjoy these goodies in a new form.