If you are looking for a super easy, gluten free, vegan rocket blaster of energy, boy oh boy, do I have just the treat for you! While at the grocery store last week, I picked up the (free!) magazine, Delicious Living. Well, there sure is a lot of deliciousness in it (Silver Lining)!
My favorite is the Swiss Chard Raw Wrap. I’ve been munching on these tasty treats all week. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do...and as much as Buzz would like to!
Swiss Chard Raw Wrap
This may look complicated, but it’s really easy peasy (because it’s the only way I roll!). The only step that takes forethought (besides the shopping) is soaking the almonds overnight. The rest is a breeze, and it’s a fun snack, even for kids.
- 2/3 cup almonds, soaked overnight in 2 cups water
- 1 ½ tablespoons flaxseed oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 6 teaspoons fresh lime juice, divided
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 3 carrots, grated
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 bunch watercress, upper stems and leaves only
- 4 ounces pea shoots or daikon radish sprouts (or both)
- 4 ounces bean sprouts
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced on a sharp diagonal
- 8 large, very fresh Swiss chard leaves, cut in half lengthwise and center rib removed
- Drain almonds thoroughly and place in food processor, along with oil, basil, 4 teaspoons lime juice, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Process until well chopped and nearly smooth. Scrape into a small bowl, cover, and set aside.
- Place avocado flesh in a bowl, along with remaining 2 teaspoons lime juice and salt; mash to a smooth puree. Cover and set aside.
- Place grated carrot, red bell pepper, watercress, pea shoots or radish sprouts, bean sprouts and scallions separately on a platter. Place chard leaves on a second platter. Serve with almond and avocado mixtures. Invite everyone to spread a small amount of avocado mixture on the underside of a Swiss chard leaf, place a nugget of almond mixture at one end, and then add small amounts of whichever vegetable fillings they choose; roll up and eat.
I hope that you enjoy this Silver Lined treat as much as we do!