Since today I am revisiting my favorite green beverages, I thought that I would re-share my great fondness for matcha green tea powder (it is my Silver Lining in my every single day!).
Matcha powder is made by grinding up whole leaves of green tea. Not only is matcha an excellent energizing substitute for coffee, but it is rich in free radical fighting, green tea antioxidants. I can almost guarantee that you will start to feel your body glow from the green tea zen-ergy that comes with matcha beverages. There is a bit of caffeine in each serving of matcha, but you will not feel those shaky jitters like you may from coffee. Rather, there is a slow and steady energy release that feels very calming and centering.
There are lots of health benefits of drinking Matcha:
- One cup of Matcha is the equivalent of 10 glasses of green tea in terms of its nutritional value and antioxidant content.
- Epigallocatechin Gallate (EGCG) is the compound found uniquely in green teas which has been shown to possess almost unbelievable anti-cancer, anti-aging and overall health benefits.Here’s where Matcha is really unprecedented: Matcha contains exponentially higher amounts (as in over 100 times) of EGCG than regular brewed green tea.
- Matcha also has over 33 times the antioxidant levels of antioxidant powerhouse blueberries(!)…hard to believe, but true!
- It is also helpful for digestion and boosting metabolism.
- An added benefit is that the L-Theanine in Matcha has been known to provide hours of lasting energy and clarity.
My favorite brand is AOI tea, specifically the Matcha Supreme.