Ohhhhh, am I ever excited to share this week’s recipe! Maili had a stroke of genius with this one. I have always loved meatloaf, but haven’t had it in years because I don’t eat meat. Knowing this, Maili came up with the most scrumptious meat and gluten-free meat loaf. It is so doggone good and I hope that you will enjoy it as much as we are. Oh, and if you like spice, you absolutely must find this Kickin’ Ketchup. Talk about a Silver Lining!
- One yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 lbs of mushrooms, (half white button mushrooms and half baby bella, but you could use any mixture of 3 lbs of mushrooms)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons of raisins
- 1 cup of cooked red quinoa (you can also use brown rice, oats, wheatberries)
- ½ cup pistachios
- 1/2 cup of almond flour
- 1 cup of parsley, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup of spicy ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Sauté onion in 2 tbsp of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt. After 5 minutes, add ¼ cup of water and let it cook down, stirring occasionally . When it starts to evaporate and become brown, add another ¼ cup of water. Maili usually adds water three times when caramelized onions. It will take about 20 minutes to cook the onions completely.
- Chop mushrooms in a food processor (best done in batches so you don’t break your food processor!).
- In largest pan you have, sauté mushrooms in 3 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tsp of salt. Cook for 15-20 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are completely cooked.
- Turn off heat and add ground cloves, thyme, raisins, caramelized onions, pistachios and parsley. Stir.
- Add 2 eggs and combine well
- Place mixture in a loaf pan and pack well. Cover the top with spicy ketchup.
- Cook on 350 for 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.