Working out is incredibly important to me. Vanity is actually at the bottom of my motivation list. At the tippy top of that list is sanity. Literally. Exercise makes me think more clearly and improves my stamina to handle whatever comes my way. Exercise also reduces my stress, lifts my mood (if I’m cranky, the HOTY will literally say, “go take a hike!”), and helps me sleep better. Exercise is never something that I dread not because I love every workout, but rather because I always see it as a Silver Lining, knowing how I will feel after. An added Silver Lining is that it makes me feel strong and grateful for my physicality, especially with the knowledge that health can turn on a dime, in an instant.
There’s nothing like a good tune to get your energy up to keep you motivated during your working out. Whether it’s a morning run, an afternoon hike or an evening at the gym, rockin’ tunes help keep my heart rate up and make me go the extra mile.
- Roar – Katy Perry
- Go The Distance – Michael Bolton
- Holding Out for a Hero – Bonnie Tyler
- No Easy Way Out – Robert Tepper
- Boom Boom Pow – The Black Eyed Peas
- Poker Face – Lady Gaga
- Authority Song – John Mellencamp
- Simply the Best – Tina Turner
- 4 Minutes – Madonna & Justin Timerlake
- Mickey – Tony Basil
- Raise Your Glass – Glee cast
- O.P.P. – Naughty By Nature
- Rumour Has It – Adele
- Lose Yourself – Eminem
- Firework – Kathy Perry (I also listen to this before each and every talk that I give!)
- Invincible – Pat Benatar
- I Gotta Feeling – The Black Eyed Peas
- Paper In Fire – John Mellencamp (I grew up in Indiana – actually spent time in Seymour, Mellencamp’s hometown and absolutely loooooove him!)
Here’s Paper in Fire to get you going! If you can’t workout right now, how about a little dance with me?
PS – Yes, I grew up in the 80’s and yes, the 80’s are still with me!